William was the first born son of Edward James Townsend and Cornelia Johanna Dederingh. Edward James was born on 19th April, 1780 (or was it 1779?), in Islington, London. If it was 1779, then he was the son of Samuel and Martha Townsend (IGI). It appears he came to Padang in about 1804 as a merchant (koopman). He married Cornelia Johanna Dederingh on 20th May 1807, in Padang, West Sumatra.
Edward’s headstone states
“Sacred to the memory of Edward James Townsend, born in London the 19th of April 1780, who departed this life on the 22nd of October 1841 aged 61 years, 6 months and 5 days.”
More is known about Cornelia Johanna. She was born in 1790 in Padang, the daughter of Theunis Dederingh and Magdalena van Daalen.
- Mary Anne Townsend, born 1813.
- Married Francois Adolf Embrechts in 1833. (There is no readily available information on this family after this date.)
- Ian Gibson Townsend, b. 21 June 1817. (Died at birth?)
- James Gibson Townsend, b. 21st June 1817, d, 25th February 1882.
- Married Johanna Maria Bouman, 14th September, 1843. Three children; Edward James (1844-1934), Sebastiaan (1848-?), and Bastiaan (1850-?).
- Married Johanna Carolina Strahl, 5th November 1859. Six children: James Edward (1860-1905), Johanna Maria (1863-?), Caroline Catherine (1865-1929), Edmund Edward James (1868-1908), Maria Megchelina Mary(1870-?) and Robert James (1871-1929).
- Samuel Townsend, b. 21st June 1817. (Died at birth?)
- Magdalena Christina Townsend, b. 24th August 1824, d. 24th July 1864.
- Married Jacobus Ijzenhoud Grevelink, 18th January 1843
- Edward James Townsend, b. 1825, d. 30th November 1865.
- Married Anna Constantia Armstrong, 30th November 1853.
- Married Julia, date unknown.